One Task at a Time

Happy Monday!

One task at a time.


Disclaimer: I'm not anywhere near this yet. Seriously.

I am surrounded by multi-taskers and I myself take pride in doing many things. Nothing wrong with that. However, what seems to be exhausting me is the back and forth and lack of concentration that results from thinking of two or three things at a time. Moving from one task to the other without completely finishing what I can with what I have at hand.

Note: Trying my hardest to finish this article in one go without minding message alerts, my stomach or whatever is in my sink at the moment.

Ichigyo-zammai is a Japanese term that basically means full concentration on a single act. This is a discipline that I would like to have. Not only because being distracted is counter productive but mostly because I feel that my brain is getting used to distracting itself.

How then?

1. Take your list seriously. I say this because I do have a list. But I move up and down my list throughout the day and just end up with incidental results, i.e, those that got more attention from me gets done and those who ate less pleasing, gets bumped off.

2. Start with the ugliest frog. This expression is for us to remember to tackle the ugliest task first. This way, we tackle it when we have the most energy and ability to concentrate.

3. Keep your surrounding free from distraction. Your bed made so that it does not call you to lie down. Your phone on silent mode when you start on a task. Your desk free from clutter. Your office mates well aware that this is "game time" for you and that you'd need a few minutes to just be on task.

4. Set a timer or keep a watch in front of you. There are tasks you will never really finish i one seating but that you are committing to spend 30 mins, and hour or so everyday so that you progress. Set that timer to the committed time and just be on task - on that one task- in the duration you allot.

5. Your thoughts will be adrift from time to time. Just notice, then get back to what you were doing. No need to dwell on it. Mental muscle exercise. We do the same for negative, thoughts or indecent thoughts or rage. Notice and then let go.

6. Speaking of letting go... Brendon Burchard has this method of "Release-Set Intention" when you are moving from one task to the next. He says, after working on a task, we should set it aside and repeat the words RELEASE to loosen your body and relax it a bit, remove the attachment to the task you just ended ...
AND THEN set an intention for the next task.

Setting intention could be:
"I am going to work on my report now for tomorrow's meeting. I will make it easy to understand for all stakeholders so that we can arrive at a decision on the key points of the project easily".
"Now, I am going to work on the family meal and I will make John's favorite with noticeable effort for making it special".
"I am about to enter the house and I will give my full attention to my family now."

After that, move to the next task recharged and clear with what you want to happen.

We all wear many hats, for some - too many. However, this should not stop us from devoting time to each task at hand with our full attention- and yes, intention.

Hustle but do not enter a whirlwind that would make you lose control of the quality of your life.

Breathe in. Breath out (100x).

Begin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Self-ie

Keeping Joy Alive

I Am Sad Today.

Having Your Own Business

#economyofinspiration

Be Grateful

Finding Joy

Moving On From Regret

How To Start?

Fake