Be Grateful

I am in Singapore as I write this. Technically, not a holiday and so I write.

The previous post was about sadness and true to what I felt that day, I honor my sadness.

However, in the past week, I also recognized that sadness is a feeling, not a state.  I felt sad, I AM NOT SAD.  There is a big difference.  As a good friend quickly pointed out, "ayos naman ang buhay mo".

So, there.  It does not mean that everything in life is doing OK, the feeling of sadness will not visit us.  It can still mess up your mojo, lower your energy and distract you from time to time. However, since it is not a state, especially when it actually is not within your control, it has to pass.

One important thing I had to do though was to ask myself why I felt that low last week.

Yesterday, at mass, I was given my answer.

I have been ungrateful.

You see, gratitude is a powerful force - especially in the head.  When we are grateful, there is an elixir of happiness that is attached to it.  You cannot be grateful and sad at the same time.

When we are grateful, it goes past the attitude of  acceptance : c'est la vie.  It honors and sees the good in the situation no matter what it is.

How do we increase our gratitude?  FOCUS ON THE GOOD.


Focus on the good helps us to take stock of what benefits or benefited us in any situation.

If we do not have what we long to have - to appreciate the character we are building by not having it.  Moreso, appreciate the fact that despite the lack thereof, you survive and maybe even thrive.

If we are not YET in the situation we long to be in, to appreciate that the best is still YET to come... that we can still anticipate, work towards and hope for better days.

If good situations turn for the worse, to appreciate the memories and the fact that it once was good and that it had its time in your life.

If we are not happy with the people in our lives, to appreciate the fact that they are in your life for good reasons - either to increase your patience, to learn a lesson, to make them better, to bridge you to another person that will make a difference in your life.

For a grateful person, the possibilities of finding gold in every sunrise , in every encounter, in every opportunity is endless.

So, aside from pursuing happiness, pursue a grateful heart.  Wake up ready to harvest the good and that is what your eyes will see.

Talk about the good in people. Talk about the good in situations.  Think about the good memories. Hope for the turn of events for the good.  It will fuel your journey towards JOY.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Self-ie

Keeping Joy Alive

I Am Sad Today.

Having Your Own Business

#economyofinspiration

Finding Joy

Moving On From Regret

How To Start?

Fake