Neighbors

Happy Monday!

Yesterday, I was reminded of a lesson. While having breakfast at my friend's resort in Batangas, one of her staff came with some duhat (Java plum) and thinking that he bought if from a store, I asked him how much I should pay him. Sheepishly he replied "Libre po ito eh. Di naman po laging pera ang pinaiiral." (Translation: This is for free. It is not always about money.")

Initially taken aback by his response, I apologized and thanked him for the fruits (which turned out to be from his own backyard). Little did I know that my friend also offered to pay him for the coconuts he brought us the night before and he is just so over our trying to pay him for his kindness.

That felt familiar.

I used to understand this. Back when I was in Antipolo, it also felt this way. Your fruit tree is enjoyed by your friends. You entrust your whole house to a neighbor when you are on holiday. You entrust your kids even. You can reach out and ask for anything in their backyard and you'd have regular supply then after. People are kind and goods are free.

People are happy to do things for you. They do not count. They do not want payment because it devalues their initiative to make you happy and show you humanity.

Tips are in the form of friendship. The bigger the trust, the better. People come in and out of your house and they call out from the middle of the street to your house and it is not scandalous, it is a welcome, familiar sound of kindred spirits.

I want to breathe in more of this ambiance once again before I head back to the city. That happy feeling of not being billed for your every move, where people look after each other and are not tired of being around people.

Better yet, be that neighbor.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Self-ie

Keeping Joy Alive

I Am Sad Today.

Having Your Own Business

#economyofinspiration

Be Grateful

Finding Joy

Moving On From Regret

How To Start?

Fake